If you’ve been putting off giving your floors an extra good cleaning, we’ve got some inspiration for you. The storage facility staff at Hollywood Storage Center of Thousand Oaks has shared their strategies for getting your floors to their sparkling best.
Tips for all floor surfaces:
- Vacuum once a week – Before taking any mopping action, be sure all the loose dust and dirt that accumulates throughout the week is a thing of the past.
- Shoes free zone – To keep from bringing outside dirt and grime inside during the week, consider ruling out shoes once you enter the house.
- Spot-treat daily – Simply keeping an eye out for the crumbs the kids dropped in the kitchen or the leaves dragged in by the dog and snatching them up daily will keep your floors looking tidy.
Tips for ceramic tile flooring:
- Keep it simple – Never use a sponge mop to clean tile flooring as this will pull dirt
into the grout. Use warm water and a micro-fiber mop.
- Brush it out – Use a cleaning toothbrush to scrub stained or dirty grout and rinse with clear water.
Tips for natural stone flooring:
- All natural – Never, never, never use any acidic liquid on stone floors, such as bleach or ammonia. Damage to your beautiful floor could occur. Hot water and a microfiber mop are the way to go!
Tips for hardwood flooring:
- Tea, please – Use boiled water, in which two teabags have been steeped, for mopping your hardwood floor and get ready for a beautiful shine. Use a damp soft cloth so floors will dry quickly.
- Color treated – Scratches on hardwood that stand out after cleaning can be disguised fairly easily. Take a crayon the color of the floor and rub it on the scratch. Turn a blow dryer on high and heat up the colored-in area. Finally, buff with a soft cloth and, voila, no more scratch.
- Wax on – Waxed hardwood floors can be damaged by even small amounts of water, so instead of liquid mopping, try a dust mop. Not sure if you have waxed floors? Run your finger across the surface and if a smudge appears, it’s most likely waxed.
Tips for vinyl flooring:
- Spritz and Mop – Combine ¼ cup vinegar, one drop of dish soap and warm water in a 16-ounce spray bottle. Using a damp microfiber mop, clean one small sprayed section of the floor at a time.
- Depression solved – If there are depressions in your floor, use a scrubbing pad to loosen any soil as you clean. Then rinse with fresh clear water.
Why is the Hollywood Storage Center team so tuned into cleanliness? It’s part of our storage facility’s culture. We even have our own Clean Team™ that spends their days keeping our property sparkling. When you’re in need of a little extra space at home, visit us to find out why our storage facility is the perfect second home for your things.
Thank you to the whole Clean Team ™ at Hollywood Storage Center of Thousand Oaks for the advice provided to get and keep your floors looking great! We’d love to hear your tips too!