Disney Archives at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library
Great weather… nice communities… aaahhh… the Conejo Valley and Simi Valley have so much family fun to offer, including the new Treasures of Walt Disney Archives at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and Museum in Simi Valley, Conejo Valley, California. Did you know that on July 17, 1955, Ronald Reagan was one of the co-hosts of ABC-TV’s live coverage of the opening of Disneyland?
Well, opening July 2012 and running through April 2013, you can see the 12,000 square-foot exhibit with more than 500 Disney artifacts from nearly nine decades. (And, admission to the limited-time Ventura County exhibit is included in the ticket price!)
From Oswald the Lucky Rabbit and Mickey Mouse to Captain Jack Sparrow and Captain America, at least half of the collection has never been seen by the public— including models, props, costumes, set pieces, and artwork over the decades of Disney history.
Among the special items in the Simi Valley Disney exhibit are:
- The original script, written by Walt Disney, for Mickey Mouse’s film debut in 1928’s Steamboat Willie.
- A faithful recreation of Walt’s formal office from the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank, Calif., including original furnishings and many of his personal items.
- Hand-drawn artwork and hand-sculpted models used in the production of some of the most beloved Disney animated film classics ever created, including Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Pinocchio, Fantasia, Bambi, and Sleeping Beauty.
- Props from classic Disney live-action productions, including Mary Poppins, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, The Absent-Minded Professor, The Shaggy Dog, Babes in Toyland, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, and more.
- Props, costumes, and set pieces from recent Disney classics, including the Pirates of the Caribbean films, Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland, TRON: Legacy, National Treasure and Captain America.
- Intricately sculptured busts of all 44 U.S. Presidents.
Summer will be over in the blink of an eye. Why not catch this presidential museum exhibit while you still have time? BTW: Members of D23: The Official Disney Fan Club save $2 on every adult admission.
Here at Hollywood Storage Center of Thousand Oaks, we love Disney and sharing worthwhile community events with you.
Tell us about your favorite activity for this summer so far on Facebook!