We’ve all been spending more time at home lately, so creating the optimal living space is more important than ever. Rearranging your furniture can lighten and brighten your space, make you feel refreshed, and give you a new love for your home. Of course, we all have certain pieces not serving us right now that we still don’t want to part with. Luckily, the self-storage deals experts at Hollywood Storage have a Place for the Things You Love. Opt for a storage space to hold onto those prized items without sacrificing the perfect furniture arrangement at home. Enjoy these tips!
Find a Focal Point
One easy way to make a room feel inviting is to arrange your furniture around an appealing focal point. What might that be? It could be your fireplace, a piece of art, a large or unique piece of furniture, or even the view out of a window. Whatever you choose, it should be the first thing you see when entering the room. Arrange the room’s furniture to highlight the focal point.
Build in Conversation Areas
By creating a socially focused footprint with your furniture, it provides a great place to gather comfortably or just a cozy area for you to read or relax. Here are some suggestions on how to make this work.
- In a larger room, move furniture away from the walls to create a more intimate space.
- Use a rug to define the area.
- Center a coffee table or ottoman in the middle of a cohesive grouping of chairs.
- If your house allows, reserve this area for quality time with the distinct absence of a television.
Since Newbury Park, Thousand Oaks, Westlake Village and other nearby neighborhoods offer such sublime weather, creating your conversation area in an outdoor space is another awesome idea and may allow for greater social distancing!
Think about Traffic Flow
Providing natural pathways through your home creates a calm living space and helps to de-stress your home life. Placing furniture helps determine the traffic flow and is a big factor in how your home will function. Some key points to consider when determining where to place furniture for optimum traffic flow are:
- Provide short, direct routes.
- Create pools of uninterrupted space for furniture arrangements.
- Be aware of how open doors might interrupt your traffic flow.
- Leave appropriate space in which to maneuver around furniture.
- Create pockets of open space.
Size Artwork Appropriately
The general rule for sizing artwork is to cover about 2/3 to 3/4 of the wall with art. Of course, the ways of going about it range widely. You can select one statement piece of art, or several smaller, skillfully arranged pieces.
Also consider how high to hang your artwork. Typically, the center of the piece should hang at eye level, but this can vary depending on your room’s décor. Hang artwork behind a sofa, dresser or headboard six to 12 inches from the top of the furniture. And, staying in step with our general sizing rule, the art should be between ½ to ¾ the width of the furniture.
Scale Furniture to Room
Putting the right sized piece of furniture in a small room can make the room feel larger than it actually is. Scaling your furniture appropriately to the room size and making sure a nice amount of space separates the pieces results in a more pleasing aesthetic. Some good guidelines are:
- 30 inches – The amount of space to leave between furniture you need to walk around.
- 8 feet – Remember those Conversation Areas we mentioned earlier? The seating should be no more than 8 feet apart.
- 14 to 18 inches – A good amount of space between your couch and coffee table.
- 6 inches – The amount of space to leave in between your dining room chairs.
- 36 inches – The minimum distance your dining room table should be from the wall for guests to be easily seated.
- 2 feet – The amount of space to leave on each side of your bed for optimal comfort.
Storing excess pieces of furniture is a perfect way to economically refresh your living space every so often. Rotate pieces in and out on occasion to continue loving your home for many years to come. We’re here whenever you need us with the Lowest Price – Guaranteed and more than 50 unit sizes so you can get just what you need. We look forward to seeing you!